Arizona Diamondbacks second baseman Ketel Marte is off the restricted list and on the 10-day injured list after a multi-hour meeting Thursday with general manager Mike Hazen and manager Torey Lovullo at Salt River Fields, MLB.com and the Arizona Republic (azcentral) reported.
Marte and his agent, Charisse Espinosa-Dash, met with Hazen and Lovullo for several hours to discuss the events of the past week, which included Marte's no-show Monday night at Fenway Park and his subsequent placement on the restricted list.
How the week unfolded
Marte had been penciled into Monday's lineup as the designated hitter in Boston. MLB.com reported the club held the lineup until roughly 20 minutes before first pitch hoping he would arrive. When he did not, he was placed on the restricted list. Lovullo said that night Marte was dealing with a personal issue and that outreach produced "very little coming back."
Teammates told reporters in the following days that texts to Marte drew little or no response, MLB.com reported. On Wednesday, Espinosa-Dash told MLB Network insider Jon Paul Morosi that Marte was managing a personal matter, would undergo an MRI on his knee, appreciated support from fans, teammates, the organization and Lovullo, and remained optimistic about returning.
Knee inflammation, injection, and IL timing
An MRI of Marte's left knee showed inflammation, Hazen said. Marte received an injection intended to address that inflammation, according to both MLB.com and azcentral.
Because Marte had been on the restricted list, the IL stint cannot be backdated to when he last played. MLB.com reported he must miss 10 days beginning Thursday; azcentral noted the soonest he could return is about Aug. 30, assuming full health, and that Hazen said it is possible Marte is back around the 10-day mark.
Hazen said he expects Marte to rejoin the club once healthy. Azcentral reported Marte will not be paid for the three days he spent on the restricted list.


